Freitag, 9. August 2013

First Steps: Ahrensburg – Ljubljana



 Sat August 3rd 2013

It’s hard to believe that I set off only four days ago (as I don’t carry a smartphone or anything like that posts appear infrequently and not necessarily on the same day I wrote them) – my brother’s birthday last Saturday feels like another time. My plans to reach Kosovo at Bayram, the holiday at the end of Ramadan, to visit a friend require I cover some distance in the early days of this trip. Both with the ways (mostly) and with the stays I’ve been extremely lucky so far.
And although it feels like I left a long time ago, I still haven’t fully realized that I actually am on this trip, for more weeks to come and more countries new to me than before, some of which I have wanted to visit for more than ten years. Now I actually am here, in the boiling heat of Southeastern Europe.

After only three hours of sleep the calm and quiet of the early morning high speed train from Hamburg to Munich were more than welcome. The second train bustles with summer time travelers, immigrants on their way to spend some weeks with the family, young backpackers. Luckily I reserved a seat, and at the window at that. We pass the Austrian-Slovenian border completely unnoticeably. I check every once in a while, the first hint to me being the gardens. Well tended and over flowing with greens in many shades, the Slovenian gardens are meant to yield more than relaxation. The next stop proves me right: Jesenice. From now on all countries I visit are new to me.

Metelkova in the morning

I found a Couchsurfing host in Ljubljana who is also hosting a guy from Israel and they make it easy for me to arrive. We spend the evening in the nearby autonomous cultural center Metelkova listening to a free concert of Bosnian folk songs. We get up early as Jan has to work and I explore the city center of Ljubljana. It is an illustration of the country’s location at the crossroads between Southern, Eastern and Western Europe. In the evening another couchsurfer joins Jan and me for dinner and some home made music. Such a good way to end a day.

Ljubljana Old Town

1 Kommentar:

  1. You saw Metelkova... awesome... I only went there in the pouring rain for like an hour and didn't get to enjoy it nearly as much as I had hoped. I miss my Balkans...

    AntwortenLöschen