Donnerstag, 1. November 2012

Back on the Bus

In the morning there was fog so thick we couldn’t see to the other side of the street, but two hours later the sun is shining from a light blue October sky. Alice and Léa head south to Warsaw and at half past ten I get on the city bus one last time back to the international bus station.

While the conductor is Latvian the driver speaks Russian without opening his mouth for the announcements. The ride will take four hours, OK, I don’t need to know much more. Once more there are only a few passengers and it’s very quiet. I read and write a little and take some pictures that get a little blurry, but I like to catch the impression of the landscape and the sunny weather.
While I was asleep when we crossed the Polish-Lithuanian border, I enjoy entering Latvia without even slowing down now in broad daylight. I always flew to Latvia before it joined the EU, but I know these two borders made the 24 hours bus ride from Berlin to Riga even longer. Now only abandoned barracks and empty multiple lanes remind of that. We just pass them and some meters on a sign announces that we now are in the Republic of Latvia. A lot of road repair is underway; I take that as a good sign concerning the Latvian economy.

Sunny Southern Latvia

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen